** STARS x2 **

Hi, we are Jamal and Sara, and we have been the stars this week. We did the entire work together, but in the exposition day, we explained different parts of the task and we answered different questions. We think that this role is problably the most difficult because you have to be self confident. The star has to explain the work   the group has done during the week to the rest of the class, so you have to be able to control yourself to not be nervious. This role can be your worst nightmare if you are afraid of talking to a lot of people, so you have to get rid of the fear to perform your role properly.

Now we are going talk about our personal experiences during the exposition day, and about the content that we explained the last day.

Sara: Hi, I decided to be one of the stars this week because i prefered to show our work to the rest of the class with someone else instead of alone.This time  there were two stars per group and not only one, so it was a golden opportunity for me. I regretted my decision when I realised that I had to speak for  8 long minutes... This is the first time that I've done  something like that, so it has been challenging. Im also a bit shy, so it has been a bit stressful.
I introduced the topic and explained the different map projections and the differences between them. In every projection, I explained:
- If there is more than one version
- The different types of distorsion.
- The pros and cons
- The purpose
- And the sociocultural implications of using it as a learning resource.

To make the comparison in the different projections between France and Bolivia, I dressed up like a Bolivian girl, to make it more enjoable to watch, I had fun doing that. I also answered to the question of what a treasure hunt is , and explained the treasure hunt that we had created.

Jamal: Hi, it's me again. This week I had a lot of fun being the star, I really enjoyed it. Its a hard role, but if you are not nervious when you have to explain the task, you would like to do it again because it's amusing. I didnt want to be the star in the first place, but i realised that i would have to do it sooner or later, so I wasn't very concerned about it. I did a comparison between France and Bolivia, a comparison of how are those countries represented in the different projections. To do that, I was dressed like a french man (that's probably what I enjoyed the most). I  explain that there is not a perfect projection, that all of them are distorted in some way, and that there are different preferences (in choosing the best one) depending on the different interest that we might have. I said that a french man would probably prefer the Mercator projection because France looks bigger there, and size is associated with power. The bigger a country is, the more powerful it looks. What I was trying, was to explain the relationship between the slogan: Media are not neutral and our work.
I also explained how media distorts the reality. I showed a picture from a peruvian book that was created to explain the origin of the races, but the picture was very racist and far away from the truth.

We hope you enjoyed our work.
                                                     

Share:

1 comentarios

  1. Good story. Just a bit more... what have you learnt? any advice for the next stars??

    ResponderEliminar